K, I'll give you guys and gals the list of my top five favorite anime, with a description or gist of what it's about, here we go...
1. Death Note-This one's about a seventeen year old, Japanese boy who finds a book owned by a Shinigami (Japanese for death god) and realizes if you write the name of anyone, in forty seconds, they are killed by a heart attack, unless you right the cause of death by the name. The boy that finds it, Light, observed by the Shinigami who previously owned the book, Ryuk, uses it to, "cleanse," the world of crime and, "judge," the criminals under the name Kira. Light is a certified genius and that only adds to the show. The show is a psychological and action thriller about an insane, yet genius detective, who has solved every crime he has come across, and their fight against one another. The ending is not happy, but it is well done and stays to what they had, so watch it!
2. Full Metal Panic (the first, second, and third series)-It's an anime about a soldier named Sergent Sousuke Sagara. He works for a special forces unit who specialize in a large variety of combat and operations. He is sent to Japan to help a girl who is one of what they call, "The Whispered." Inside the whispered' genetic memory, holds an entire database of Black Tech, a technology used to make the Lambda Driver. Each series is about Sagara trying to protect her from the terrorist organizations that want the Lambda Driver and the tech behind it. In the first season, it's smart, real smart with what they do, the second is a lot of modern comedy, and the third is dark, smart, and VERY VIOLENT, including two up close shots of a throat being cut in the entire season, it has giant robots
and guns, weeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!
3. Neon Genesis: Evangelion-An extremely dark, creepy, and pretty blasphemies (toward the Christian faith) anime (with giant robots) about the year 2015, the city Tokyo 3, and mankind's fight against, "the angels," and their goal to create a third impact on Earth. It's pretty creepy and pretty gory, considering the robots are... well I can't say much without giving away the series.
WARNING: The series includes violence, and sexual themes. The movie includes a nude scene, so stay clear if you don't want to see that kind of stuff.
4. Ghost Stories-A sucky anime in the Japanese version, but in the English dub, it's completely different, extremely hilarious!
Half the crew of Full Metal Panic did this, and it's just great, completely different from the Japanese version. It's about a group of fifth graders who send ghosts and spirits to spiritual sleep through the main character's, mother's diary. It's funny, so take a look
5. Gundam 00-An anime about a vigilante group called spacial being or something, who have a goal to eliminate war by destroying all weapons, and the tools the others are using for war. It's another giant robot anime, but what can I say, they're cool. Anywho, it's not complete and is still airing in Japan, so subs are gonna happen, but check it out, none the less.
So, that's the list of my top five favorite anime...
*Jaws music for no reason*
P.S. This list is for the series, not the fan base or merchandise, that stuff can get pretty weird.