Blue Stripe Studios
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeMainSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mapping a Stargate

Go down 
+4
Varrok
Dex
Cameron Mitchell
Kaito
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Jon Valo
Rookie
Rookie
Jon Valo

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2008-06-01

Mapping a Stargate - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mapping a Stargate   Mapping a Stargate - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 9:47 pm

Yeah i might ask around there, or perhaps i log into ERP again and see if i can get hold of berle or shuttle... hmm
Back to top Go down
Cameron Mitchell
Official Member
Official Member
Cameron Mitchell

Number of posts : 1364
Registration date : 2008-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Mapping a Stargate   Mapping a Stargate - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 10:29 pm

It's worth a shot, but those guys are pretty inactive.
Back to top Go down
http://the-new-sg1.forummotion.com
Jon Valo
Rookie
Rookie
Jon Valo

PostSubject: Re: Mapping a Stargate   Mapping a Stargate - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 12:04 pm

yeah that's the trouble, i think i'll have a play around today and see if i can't get a working stargate, if i can then i shall make a prefab stargate map.

EDIT: i got a message back from berle:

This might help.
Equally, since it hasn't exactly been extensively tested, it could fail
completely. I might not have even packed the right files for all I
know. Either way, it should at least give you clues, and at most give
you a fully-working Stargate system prefab.

The only trouble i'm having with it is that the event horizon isn't showing up and the first part of the wormhole also is displaying the texture not found-ness but all in all, berle is a god and not a false one!
Back to top Go down
LT-Donnelly
Rookie
Rookie
LT-Donnelly

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: ahhhhh lets see   Mapping a Stargate - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 11:17 pm

IF THAT WORKS ILL SERVE YOU UNTIL THE END OF TIME YOU WILL BE KNOWN AS LORD VALO MY GOD and im currently pending approval for my Ancient Base 083 AKA Avalon map on jk3 and im already nearing the end of V2 Its the summer holidays for me you see so i have plenty of spare time plus living in the middle of nowhere with nowt to do makes me concentrate on mapping again THANKYOU LORD VALO

i will post my findings shortly
Back to top Go down
LT-Donnelly
Rookie
Rookie
LT-Donnelly

PostSubject: Re: Mapping a Stargate   Mapping a Stargate - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 11:23 pm

ahh it would'nt open in pakskape but i extracted it with WINRAR thankyou lord valo i will now attempt to stick this here thingy mabob into a map and 35% Credit for the stargate map will goto SGEH Staff And VALO if this aint enough tell me and we can negotiate

and now to bed my fellow SGJAers funny word it is half 12 in the morning here in the uk and im to have a mental brakedown if i dont get my sleep to map thank you once again all you have been a great help and once this is finished you may feel free to encorperate it into your SGEH V2 if it ever gets fin...i.sgherd felling sleepy *BANG*

Next morning awakens to keyboard shaped face LOL

Thanks again

MY JK3 AND MAPPING NAME WILL BE ZELENKA FROM NOW ON AS IN ZELENKA FROM ATLANTIS AND ITS BEING CANCELLED AFTER SEASON 5 WAAAAAAAAAAA
Back to top Go down
LT-Donnelly
Rookie
Rookie
LT-Donnelly

PostSubject: Re: Mapping a Stargate   Mapping a Stargate - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 7:13 am

1 issue with the prefab
the kawooosh thing falls into the floor oh and theres no iris or sheild
ohwell its a start
Back to top Go down
Dex
Admin
Admin
Dex

Number of posts : 827
Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Mapping a Stargate   Mapping a Stargate - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 10:59 am

1. Nice job man.
2. Welcome new guy, use your edit button.
3. The Kawooosh can be fixed buy placing an info_null where you want it to go.
Drop an Info_null, hit esc, select the effect runner for the kawooosh, then select the info_null and hit ctrl + K. and your effect will look the way it should.

4. And whats being canceled after S05???
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/
Jon Valo
Rookie
Rookie
Jon Valo

PostSubject: Re: Mapping a Stargate   Mapping a Stargate - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 11:00 am

triple post.... lol, yeah i forget to say you need to open in in win rar rather than pakscape for some reason pakscape doesn't like it much, and the credit needs to go to berle he made the map and scripting i just asked him to use it, i'm not sure why the kawoosh falls into the floor it worked fine for me, i just had the EH and wormhole not showing up but i think it's just a matter of replacing a few textures and it's all good, but feel free to keep calling me lord valo Razz

Reminds me of me, living in the middle of nowhere with summer holidays, nothing to do but go out and drink or map (y)

Edit: Atlantis isn't being cancelled!!! Where did you hear this ?!
Back to top Go down
Berle
Rookie
Rookie
Berle

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Mapping a Stargate   Mapping a Stargate - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 8:19 pm

I toyed with the prefab a bit more today, with a clean install except for sgegyptja.pk3, sggatedhdv2ja.pk3, and the .pk3s that come with the prefab. The missing textures you're experiencing, as well as other issues, seem to be due to me making the sgprefab.pk3 file in a cack-handed fashion with WinRar. As for the kawhoosh falling flat for some people and not for others, it's possible that I put the wrong one into SGPrefab.pk3. I was after all drunk at the time. People who don't have my actual finished kawhoosh effect (included in the SGB, or other maps, as zKawhoosh.pk3) will see the kawhoosh default to the unfinished, brokeny one included accidentally in SGPrefab.pk3. Basically, when all's said and done, use this new version of the prefab instead.
Back to top Go down
Jon Valo
Rookie
Rookie
Jon Valo

PostSubject: Re: Mapping a Stargate   Mapping a Stargate - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 8:26 pm

Good to see you here berle. Yeah my base folder is a mass of pk3s so that might explain it.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
LT-Donnelly
Rookie
Rookie
LT-Donnelly

PostSubject: Re: Mapping a Stargate   Mapping a Stargate - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 8:26 pm

ooooh joy i just got it all in and working [with the floor falling kawoosh] but well fixed is better than broken Very Happy oh well until then farewell and im really irritaited because its all like ARHHHHHH oh well Ancient Base 083 Avalon And The SGC Plus a MAHOOOSIVE City off the SGC Then theres also the ALIEN world big but hey big wahoop and is there no way to replace the kawoosh because i dont want to mess about with the stargates anymore
Back to top Go down
Berle
Rookie
Rookie
Berle

PostSubject: Re: Mapping a Stargate   Mapping a Stargate - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 8:36 pm

LT-Donnelly wrote:
ooooh joy i just got it all in and working [with the floor falling kawoosh] but well fixed is better than broken Very Happy oh well until then farewell and im really irritaited because its all like ARHHHHHH oh well Ancient Base 083 Avalon And The SGC Plus a MAHOOOSIVE City off the SGC Then theres also the ALIEN world big but hey big wahoop and is there no way to replace the kawoosh because i dont want to mess about with the stargates anymore
Just replace the current effects/sgb/kawhoosh.efx file with the one from the new prefab, that should make it work fine. You can do that by pulling the file itself from the new prefab pk3 and slotting it into the old, or replacing the whole old prefab.pk3 file with the new. You shouldn't have to modify or recompile your map to replace the .efx file.
Back to top Go down
Jon Valo
Rookie
Rookie
Jon Valo

PostSubject: Re: Mapping a Stargate   Mapping a Stargate - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 8:48 pm

hmm, i've replaced the files, but the event horizon texture is still no showing up, just the generic shader not found red and black horribleness that everyone loves to hate.. i don't get why, i might try re-loading radient and seeing if that shakes things up.

EDIT: nope, still no texture there, any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Berle
Rookie
Rookie
Berle

PostSubject: Re: Mapping a Stargate   Mapping a Stargate - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 9:05 pm

Hmm... my first thought is that maybe sgb.pk3's version of sgb.shader is conflicting with sgprefab's version of the shader, which defines the new event horizon... but sgprefab comes after sgb alphabetically, and should therefore take precedence. Unless there's some other pk3 that's also got an sgb.shader. Or if the other version has been extracted and put in a folder... come to think of it, sgprefab's version of the shader will actually break the SGB map in the first place. God, this is so complicated. No wonder I gave up mapping. Razz  I'm going to make one last revision to the prefab to clear up this shader issue (hopefully), and prevent more shader conflicts. Bear with me. Oh, and it just occurred to me that everything else in SGPrefab.pk3 will conflict with the SGB as well, since many of the file names are shared. Oh well, cba to fix all that now, would need to go through all the entities and fix their external file associations... maybe tomorrow. No wonder I gave up mapping...

Edit: Actually, I'll leave off the shader fix upload until I've fixed the whole thing to prevent conflicts. May as well get it done...
Back to top Go down
Jon Valo
Rookie
Rookie
Jon Valo

PostSubject: Re: Mapping a Stargate   Mapping a Stargate - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 9:20 pm

might it be easier to just start from scratch, with a simple map and 2 gates linked? or if you don't want to do all that, i might try backwards engineering the prefab and see if i can't give it a try... we'll see.
Back to top Go down
Berle
Rookie
Rookie
Berle

PostSubject: Re: Mapping a Stargate   Mapping a Stargate - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 9:54 pm

Right, conflict prevention is done, theoretically. Compiling for testing now, if that works I'll upload so you can test it. As for the two gate thing, that should be simple enough for you to script, I think... I don't think there's any reason not to just delete one of the gates and everything that refers to it in the map and scripts. I built it kind of flexible like that, IIRC. Razz
Back to top Go down
Jon Valo
Rookie
Rookie
Jon Valo

PostSubject: Re: Mapping a Stargate   Mapping a Stargate - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 10:03 pm

this is true, i shall have a go tomorrow, when i can start fresh and think straight i might go from scratch and just keep referring to your prefab, i've been brushing up on some mapping skills since my ERP days so i'm confident that i'll be able to give it a decent go. fingers crossed Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Berle
Rookie
Rookie
Berle

PostSubject: Re: Mapping a Stargate   Mapping a Stargate - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 10:10 pm

Ok, could you test this? Also, find shaders/shaderlist.txt in your base folder, open it up in WordPad or equivalent, and add sgprefab to its list. Seems to be needed for the prefab's shaders to be used during compilation of your maps.
Back to top Go down
Jon Valo
Rookie
Rookie
Jon Valo

PostSubject: Re: Mapping a Stargate   Mapping a Stargate - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 10:18 pm

Yeah sure, im d/ling now, give me a few minutes and i'll see if it works

EDIT: Yeah the EH shows up!! the initial transit wormhole doesnt still, just upto the second part, then it's fine not sure why that is, i'll figure it out, but yeah that final one is perfect no problems with the EH!!

EDIT: the texture for it is in radient but just not in game
Back to top Go down
Berle
Rookie
Rookie
Berle

PostSubject: Re: Mapping a Stargate   Mapping a Stargate - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 10:28 pm

Well, whatever the issue with the first part of the wormhole is, it's not anything I've done. Razz  It's straight from Wade's maps. It's not impossible that his shaders need to be added to the shaderlist.txt file as well before compilation, long shot though it may be.
Back to top Go down
Jon Valo
Rookie
Rookie
Jon Valo

PostSubject: Re: Mapping a Stargate   Mapping a Stargate - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 10:40 pm

they show up in wade's maps and in sgb just not in the prefab, i don't get it, and in radient the texture shows up fine and in the texture window, just not in game. hmm, it's odd in theory it should work, but it's not... im gonna try replacing the texture with another and see if that shows up
Back to top Go down
Berle
Rookie
Rookie
Berle

PostSubject: Re: Mapping a Stargate   Mapping a Stargate - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 10:47 pm

You might want to add sg_travel to shaderlist.txt and recompile the map, if your current plan doesn't help.
Back to top Go down
Jon Valo
Rookie
Rookie
Jon Valo

PostSubject: Re: Mapping a Stargate   Mapping a Stargate - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 10:51 pm

ah yeah good call, i think that might be it...

Edit: nope, adding it to the shaderlist did nothing, hmm no worries, though it's just one texture the important bit was the gate and you got that working perfectly so heh it's no biggie, i added you on msn too, hope you don't mind ^_^
Back to top Go down
Berle
Rookie
Rookie
Berle

PostSubject: Re: Mapping a Stargate   Mapping a Stargate - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 10:59 pm

I'm rarely on it lately, but that's fine. I've no idea what else might be affecting the wormhole texture then, guess your best bet is just to replace the texture with something else, like you planned...
Back to top Go down
Jon Valo
Rookie
Rookie
Jon Valo

PostSubject: Re: Mapping a Stargate   Mapping a Stargate - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 11:04 pm

yeah, i'll try it tomorrow i can't be arsed to sit through another bsp today, it could be that it is conflicting with something else in my base, i've got all the mod's files in there so who knows what could be interfering, i'll try it with a fresh base tomorrow and if that doesn't work then screw it i'll just re-texture that section...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mapping a Stargate   Mapping a Stargate - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Mapping a Stargate
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next